Gunilla Klingberg: Brand New View
Banyan Travel Agency, photo by Li Xiaotian
The artist will act as a host of this temporary public space, using the Huangbian neighbourhood as research subject to foster continuous
dialogue, understanding, and communication about the actual context of the museum. Reflecting on the role of the contemporary
art museum in a residential community while constructing organic relations between the institution and the surrounding place, Banyan
Commune intends to generate a trace for the ever-changing region of South China in the process of urbanization.
Zheng Bo + Wei Zhijiao +Participants: Weed Common
Banyan Commune welcomes proposals by local and international artists and collectives for bi-annual, month-long residencies. Proposed
projects should be visual, participatory, and public engaging in nature, including installation, video, sounds, performance, and events among
others. Selected artist or artist collective will be provided with:
- Accommodation and workspacewith basic living facilities
- Round-trip economy-classflight or train tickets to Guangzhou
- Living expenses during theresidency
- Production budget of up to50,000 RMB (7500 USD)
- Assistance with applying forextra grants or sponsorships
- Project assistant, supportfor academic research and translation, etc.
- Project proposal, including the statement, working schedule, presentation plan, and a detailed plan of project realization
- Applicant’s portfolio
- Description of assistance needed for realizing the project
Please combine all your application files into a single PDF file and e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org (If there is a video component in your files, please include it as a web link instead.)
July 31, 2017
The proposed projects will undergo two rounds of reviewing committee evaluation. Committee is composed of the curatorial and public programmes departments of Times Museum. The first round will be within one month after the deadline for application. Five proposals will be selected for the second round of review. Selected artists will then need to provide further plan within 15 days. Two proposals will be selected for the residency each year. The finalists will be published on the museum’s website and other media. All applicants will receive email notification regardless of whether they are selected.
- Before submitting your application, it’s suggested that the artist do local research on the city of Guangzhou and the context of the surrounding community of Times Museum.
- The Banyan Commune project focuses on locality, and we encourage the participating artists to collaborate with various local institutions, researchers and other artists into the proposal.